Support America Defend The Vote

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

John McCain Barack Obama Debate #2

This may have seemed to many people like a boring classroom lecture as opposed to what many hoped for, a spark filled entertaining debate. Why do we, Americans, watch a presidential debate and expect to be entertained? That is rather superficial, don't you think? Of course who is going to turn away when the sparks start to fly? Not me, nor you.

We can debate who won and who did not, but I think we all might have missed something, myself included. My 23 year old son, who has been a life long democrat raised in a democratic house is having issues with this election. I am fortunate that my son has a rather unique view of things. We have some spirited conversations around our house, as politics and religion and personal rights are never off the table. Everything is fair to bring up, question or discuss in our house, as is in many of your homes.

But this morning he was standing in the doorway of my office with a cup of coffee in his hand and the debate conversation started. We went on for a bit with the "I think"s and the "Did you see when so and so said"s and then he said something that struck me.

"Mom, that debate did not make up my mind but I could not help but think. I was watching them and you know how you can watch someone talk and talk and you kinda zone out?"

I just shook my head yes, I knew what he was talking about.

"Well, watching Barack Obama is like watching a made for TV movie, but watching John McCain was like watching a real guy that does real work that is not all that comfortable in front of the camera. John McCain seemed more like the guy that is working and working hard not the guy looking for every photo opportunity. Barack Obama was like an actor that had memorized alot of lines. Just a thought"

Off he went to get ready for school, he is a college student. Leaving me dumbfounded. Yes we have all talked about Mr.BO Hollywood Obama but when I thought back over the debate I thought he was right. I had not picked that up until he drew my attention to it. It was something that had struck him and obviously had him thinking.

I started thinking, foreign policy decisions are not made in front of a camera, economic choices are not made in front of a camera, the running of the country is not done in front of a camera. These are things discussed behind closed doors, in meetings, going over paperwork and talking to people you do not really want to talk to.

Do you want a president that is so good in front of a camera that he can sell a dairy farmer milk? I don't. I want a president that is going to say it simply and get it out there for Americans to discuss the issue and not the person bringing up the issue.

Dick Morris just came on Fox News and validated my son's observation. Dick Morris is complaining that John McCain did not deliver a line correctly or well enough. Well that comment speaks volumes. I may not agree with everything John McCain stands for or says but I know John McCain will go to the White House to represent millions of Americans and to get work done, not to represent himself and his own agenda and looking for the ultimate photo opportunity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You speak for so many of us! I'm a life-long Dem too, and a former delegate. A friend and I were speaking recently, and we always go back to this point -- BO is a P.R., Marketing, Madison Avenue concoction, a media image. You're so right about JMc -- at least when he speaks, I believe him. Sorry, I can't say the same about BO.

Anonymous said...

BO is the same name as an old computer trojan "Back Orifice". Wonder if there are any similarity here.